Friday, 15 July 2011

all was well.

Bellatrix Lestrange, yo.

Just getting into character, guys.




Julie was Harry's Patronus!



EXPECTO PATRONUM!!

We decided Haley was Luna's and Tonks' mutual best friend.


Look at her owl headband!  SO CUTE <3
Her wand is Luna's.
Julie's little brother, wizard-in-training :)


Brilliant way to save your seats!

Snape's wand - the best part is hidden when in use.  Symbolism?
outfit details:
black v-neck tee - Kohl's
black skirt - Kohl's
boots - Seychelles
cape - my dad's
wand - Snape's


This morning at 12:01am, I and every other Harry Potter fan witnessed The End.  The end of our childhoods, the end of an amazing series - pretty much the end of the world.  Logically, of course, I realize that for the true fans, this will never end.  Harry Potter has become a part of our lives and changed us in ways we can't even imagine.  We've made friends, learned life lessons, and found such joy in reading and imagination.  I doubt I'd be the avid reader I am if I hadn't been exposed to Harry Potter at such a young age.


Having started reading the books when I was five or six years old, I cannot honestly say that they have changed my life.  Rather, my life has been shaped by these books and the love for reading, imagination, and friendship that they inspire.  While there really is no "before" period to compare to the "after" of my life with Harry Potter, I know without a doubt that I wouldn't be the person I am today without them.  I've bonded with my best friends over our love of Harry Potter, learned to love writing as a side-effect of my voracious reading, and discovered other amazing worlds, fantasy or reality, through connections with these novels.  I owe my life as I know it to J.K. Rowling, and I am so grateful.


If you think that was dramatic, you'd better ready yourself for what the premier was like.  We arrived at the two and a half hours early, and still there was a line wrapping 3/4 around the building!  Luckily, the line started moving as soon as we got there, and within a rather short period of time, we were inside.  The organization of the theatre was astoundingly unhelpful, as my friends and I had to swap tickets around with other people we met there in order to find seats together in the same theatre.  Julie actually had to sit with her family, as there weren't enough tickets for one theatre that we could find.  The difficulty before the film put a little bit of a damper on our spirits, but we didn't stay down for long.  We sat in the third row back (aching-neck spots!  ack!) because there were no other places available with three seats together.  I was worried that people would talk during the film, because our theatre was extremely noisy; however, once the lights went down, there was only silence, broken perfectly by applause, cheering, and laughter in just the right places.  And perhaps the muffled sobs of fans watching beloved characters fight, love, and die.


Seriously, Maybelline should pay me to testify how well their waterproof mascara and eyeliner work.  I was a mess, and my make-up stayed perfectly in place.  I couldn't believe it!


Snape has always been my favourite character (that's his wand I'm holding), despite my friends' (mostly when we were younger and I thought I was a Gryffindor - I'm really a Ravenclaw :) ) accusations of, "You call yourself a Gryffindor?" and later, "You say you're against Voldemort, but you can stand Snape!?"  I won't give anything away, but his story in the books was beautiful and touching, and I feel like the film gave it everything it deserved and more.


The last words of Book Seven pretty much sum up my joy and mild confusion as to how a film can cause me to sob my heart out, yet leave me with a warm, contented sort of feeling and a smile on my face.


"All was well."





Cheers,
Shayli


PS - Yes, I did it.  I read books six and seven the day before the premier, amazingly.  48 hours, no sleep.  But it was so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a comment.
Don't want to make my day? Leave a comment anyway!
Include your blog address and I'll take a look.