Monday, 2 January 2012

red lips sink ships. (or: when pineapples drop.)



I'm a bird, apparently.
















cream blouse - Apt. 9 // pleather-inset jeggings - Jessica Simpson Collection // bow tie - Macy's // combat boots - Kohl's // greatcoat - BB Dakota // gold cuff - vintage (from my grandmother) // lipstick - MAC Russian Red


Clouds kept moving in front of and away from the sun, so sorry for the weird inconsistent lighting in my photos!  This is the outfit I wore on New Year's Eve, going out with my friends downtown to watch the pineapple drop.  Yes, the pineapple.  It's a tradition in our town to drop a pineapple (it used to be a pear, but it changed... copyright or something) at New Year's.  There are always "First Night" celebrations downtown, but I hadn't been since I was a little kid (and my parents had never wanted to take us again - New Years celebrations are probably not fun with little children in tow) so this was a fun chance to explore the places I've known all my life while they were dark and either packed with people or utterly devoid of human life.


I didn't get a chance to take a lot of photos (or rather, the majority of the photos I did take were blurry) because it was, well, dark, but the last two photos above are a couple of my favourite shots.  In one little park, there was a giant Christmas tree strung with multicoloured lights.  The park was entirely empty, a refreshing change from all the people in other areas of town, so when Haley and I were separated from our group, we stayed there for a little while.  At least, until a group of drunk college students ran in and started shouting "parkour, parkour, parkour!" and jumping off of benches and the like...  Yeah, then we left.


New Years was great, but I think the highlight of my night was this coat!  It took me forever to get it, actually - I ordered a small from Urban Outfitters, but when I tried it on with an oversized sweater, I realised I wanted more arm room for bulky clothes underneath the coat.  So I returned the coat in exchange for a medium (and I was really worried they wouldn't accept it, because I'd taken all the tags off!  But UO was very nice and accepted the return anyway :), except that it didn't register in their system as an exchange.  So after waiting a few weeks, I finally realised that the money I'd spent on the coat had been returned to the card I'd used to pay for it.  Heaving a deep, put-upon sigh, I went back to the UO website and ordered the coat again, in a size medium.  It arrived very quickly.  I was glad, and it fit with sweaters.  I was doubly glad!  And still am :)  


On the bright side, I saved $20 in this convoluted process, because the price of the coat was reduced somewhere in between when I first ordered it, and when I re-ordered it!  How convenient.


The lipstick I wore also made me super happy!  I find that when I put on lipstick, it's an instant confidence boost.  I love the process of applying it perfectly, and I love how it automatically raises an outfit to the next level.  In my quest for the perfect red lipstick, I decided to trust what I had read on dozens and dozens of blogs, and opt for MAC's Russian Red.  I was not disappointed!  It's a gorgeous true red, with a matte finish that stayed on all night with just a few touch-ups here and there.  To put this in perspective: this lipstick made it through Thai food, hot chocolate, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream.  That's impressive!


I'm feeling super inspired for the new year!  What are your plans and goals for 2012?


Cheers!
Shayli

2 comments:

Want to make my day? Leave a comment.
Don't want to make my day? Leave a comment anyway!
Include your blog address and I'll take a look.